10 reasons why truck driving is the right career for you
Posted: July 30, 2021
Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to get paid to see the country? Are you looking for something with lots of earning potential or a career that won’t take much time or money to get started? The trucking industry is growing and in need of quality truck drivers, which is why you’ll find that many carriers are offering competitive pay packages and lots of great benefits to their drivers. If you can relate to anything on our list below, then truck driving might be the right career choice for you.
1. You love to travel. If you enjoy traveling, truck driving is one of the easiest ways to see the country. Your job will take you all over and allow you to visit some of the most beautiful places without extra expenses of travel costs and taking time off of work. Plus, you’re getting paid to do it.
2. Making money is a career priority. There’s endless income potential when you’re a truck driver. You’re not limited to an hourly or annual salary. Instead, the more miles you drive, the more money you make. You can also boost your income if your company pays bonuses for meeting safety and performance goals and for referring other drivers. At Dart, our dedicated drivers earn up to $80,000 annually while our top-earning independent contractors earn more than $200,000 per year. Ask us about our bi-weekly pay guarantee for OTR drivers.
3. Job benefits are important. One of the perks about being a company driver is the benefits that come along with it. Our drivers enjoy a full benefits package that includes six medical plans to choose from, paid time off, 401k with company match, multiple home time options and more.
4. Launch your new career today. Sometimes getting started in a new career is the hardest part. With trucking, it’s really easy to do with minimum cost and time to you. CDL training programs usually take about seven weeks to complete. Dart offers paid orientation so you can begin collecting a paycheck even before you hit the road. You also only need four months of verifiable tractor-trailer experience in order to join our team as a Dart company driver.
5. Career stability. The American Trucking Associations says that the current driver shortage will grow to 175,000 jobs while the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that truck driving jobs will grow by six percent in the next decade. Trucking is one of the most secure jobs around. Truck drivers are in high demand and there’s always freight that needs to be moved.
6. You want to own your own business. If you’ve always dreamed about being your own boss and running your own business, then becoming an owner operator is a great career choice for you. You’ll be able to choose when you work, which loads you want to take and have control over your home time. If you don’t already own a truck, many carriers have lease purchase programs that allow you to start building your trucking business immediately while helping you finance your truck. Our lease purchase program requires no money down with truck payments as low as $437 a month.
7. A career change is on the horizon. Many drivers choose trucking as a second career. They’re tired of sitting at a desk all day or want to get off their feet from years of factory work. Or perhaps you’ve had a great military career and are now looking for something new as you transition back to civilian life.
8. You like to drive. This one is pretty self-explanatory. If you like to drive, what better career choice than one that has you behind the wheel?
9. It feels good to be needed. Truck drivers are the backbone of America. You’re the ones who are responsible for making sure things like medicine, food and supplies get to their destinations on time. Without your hard work, everyone would be affected in some way. If being an essential worker is important to you, then truck driving is an excellent career choice.
10. You want more freedom. Freedom comes in lots of forms with a truck driving career. Your income opportunities can offer you financial freedom you won’t find in other careers. You’ll also get to experience the freedom of driving on the open road instead of being stuck in an office all day and the ability to manage your time and responsibilities without being constantly micromanaged.
Once you’ve decided that truck driving is the right career for you, it’s time to choose a carrier to work with. We recommend selecting a company that can help you work toward your career goals. At Dart, we have opportunities for OTR and dedicated company drivers as well as independent contractors. Learn more about our new high pay package, home time options and too many benefits to list by connecting with us today.